From:
Diane Wiessinger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Nov 2000 14:02:39 -0400
Finding an IBCLC in a given area isn't a one-step operation.  IBLCE's site
lists all the IBCLCs in the world, and lists by state in the US... but what
good's a listing of all the *names* of, say, Arizona IBCLCs?  Where do they
live?  How do I find their phone number?  (It *is* a good site for checking
on your peers' current status.  Kind of fun...)

The best site - do let us know if you find a better one - seems to be
breastfeeding.com, or specifically
http://www.breastfeeding.com/directory/lcdirectory.html.  Within the US, you
can click on your state and get the name of someone fairly nearby.  Most of
us, I know, have a good idea of who's who in our own part of our own state,
and any mother who contacted me about, say, Rochester, NY, could get a few
good Rochester area names from me that would in turn yield more names.
There aren't many international offerings yet, but I'm sure they will grow.

Medela offers names as well, but it doesn't seem to be as effective a list.
And of course it's a strongly commercial site.

I can see a need for IBLCE - and ILCA - to come up with better systems for
clueless moms to find truly competent help.  And I can see that it's not an
easy task!  But no wonder moms sometimes find it simpler just to buy a pump
and bottle-feed the milk...

Diane Wiessinger, MS, IBCLC  Ithaca, NY