HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Jack Eastman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Mar 2001 19:24:01 +0000
Replacements, Ltd. sells replacement china.   Their web site has pictures of
THOUSANDS of patterns:  www.replacements.com   This site has come in handy
on occasion, for artifact analysis as well as for the family china set.

And to return to the start of this thread, didn't Jim Deetz discuss "mass
dumping episodes" of ceramic sets at length in "Flowerdew Hundred"?   (I
loaned and lost my copy)

Also, I recall Chris Ricciardi gave a great paper at a Mid-Atlantic or CNEHA
conference about 1995, reporting on a cistern full of
complete dish sets and hundreds of intact bottles that Brooklyn College had
excavated at the Van Cortland Mansion in Brooklyn.   As I recall, when the
family moved,
they took very little with them...just dumped it all in the cistern and
covered it over.   There were some extremely unusual patterns, too - George
Miller and the other ceramic buffs had never seen some of them.

Jack Eastman

In a message dated 2/28/2001 12:43:25 PM Mountain Standard Time,