From:
Ian Crisp <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Oct 2000 00:02:39 +0100
Those who joined MCML this year won't know that for the last three years I
have organised a rather meaningless but hopefully enjoyable poll during the
last couple of months of the year.  It grew out of a thread about why more
people think they ought to like Brahms than actually do, and it acquired
something of a life of its own.  The first one was "Greatest Composers",
then we did "Greatest Performers", and last year was "Best C20 music".

Every year the poll has generated some good discussion both on and
off-list, but the number of listmembers taking part has fallen.  I am also
conscious that a significant number of us have no interest in these things
at all.

This year, I am perfectly happy to do the collecting of entries, collating,
analysing, reporting etc. as in the past.  But I do not want to impose the
poll on an unwilling list membership.  So I will only go ahead if there is
a convincing demonstration of interest, either on the list or directly to
me.

I'm also open to suggestions for the subject of the 2000 poll (if there is
one). My only feeling is that it should be a forward-looking one.

Ian Crisp