From:
Denis Fodor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Oct 2000 12:15:34 EDT
Robin Mitchell-Boyask <[log in to unmask]> writes:

>I can't think of a conductor (other than Sinopoli, but that
>example might prove the rule!) of a conductor who is or was "better" in the
>studio than in person.  I'm pretty sure I've heard in person about every
>big guy of the past 25 years, save HvK.

I experienced Karajan in Berlin when he started in with the Phiilharmoniker
after the war and subsequently numerous times, in Vienna and Salzburg, too.
To my ear he was __immeasurably__ better live than he was on recordings.
Of course, some of his discs are not exactly chopped liver-- I have a
Beethoven 6 of his on LP that I still find myself playing, and not
infrequently, at that--but live he and his musicians were nothing short
of enthralling.

Denis Fodor