From:
Deryk Barker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Aug 2000 13:40:50 -0700
Whitney H. Gordon ([log in to unmask]) wrote:

>The question posed concerns this: hoping to sense just how Mahler
>conducted.  My own untutored approach has been to follow Bruno Walter's
>lead.  Walter was Mahler's acolyte and I gather Mahler thought very highly
>of the then young conductor.

There are four conductors on record who worked closely with Mahler:  Walter
(who recorded 1, 2, 4, 5 and 9), Klemperer (2, 4, 7, 9), Fried (2) and
Mengelberg (4).

Listening to their very different ways with Mahler's music certainly leads
me to believe that we can deduce very little about his conducting from
theirs.

Deryk Barker