From:
Nick Perovich <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Jan 2001 22:33:27 -0500
Bill S wrote, in regard to Mats Morrman's comments about Walter's unfair
scolding of orchestral players:

>All I have heard about Walter, and I know many musicians and others who
>played under him and attended his recording sessions, is the opposite from
>what you said here.  He was the furthest from a tyrant.  There have been
>many rehearsal and recording session tapes and none evidence the sort of
>behavior you mention.  Quite the opposite.

For what it's worth, let me quote Schoenberg on Walter:  "A magnificent
conductor, but a nasty creature who makes me feel sick whenever I think of
him." Says Michael Tanner:  "He cultivated a gentle, conciliatory manner
which concealed a ruthless ambition and vindictiveness."

Nick