From:
Mats Norrman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Jan 2001 01:42:38 +0100
Hi List!  Notice I am right back from my long holiday, which I started with
breaking both my legs, so it has been rather much enfant-terrible-immobile
i the last month, but I can at least move to the computer.  Hi to my
talkative friends!

"John G. Deacon" <[log in to unmask]> quoth:

>Some experts remain sceptical.  Philip Gossett, a Verdi historian at
>Chicago University, said: "Earliest Verdi is similar to all the music
>written by earnest, talented young composers during the 1820s and
>1830s."

Halloh here and halloh there!  I doubt the quoted Mr.  Gossett's statement
at least in part, as Verdi from very young age practised very hard writing
fugues, and aquired quite a good skill in that Gebiet.  First later he
moved on to other genres, via the churchial cantata, which includes fugues
as standard.  In his late works it here and there appear absolutely
masterful fugues also.  Perhaps a tribute to his teachers and his youth
obsession.  But the etablishment has screamed for newdiscovered works by
this or that famous (often Haydn or other composers with unclear
Verzeichnis) or not-so-famous master before, but it has often been
doubtful, sometimes falsificates.  Etablishment is perhaps overheated?

Mats Norrman