From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Oct 2000 21:44:15 GMT
Wes Crone writes:

>I am a Bach-NUT like my friend Mr. Satz and I regularly agree with his
>commentary.  However, sometimes my favorite version isn't even on his
>list.  Perhaps he hasn't listened to all available versions (who has?).

I'm sorry to hear that because I would prefer that the reviews be as useful
as possible for readers.  I've given some thought to this little situation.
It's not financially viable for me to buy/obtain every version of a popular
classical work or set of works.  However, I generally end my reviews with
some mention of upcoming works to be reviewed.  I welcome any list member
to e-mail me privately to see if I have the version or versions that would
be desired for inclusion in the review.  If I don't, the list member can
send me a copy, and I will give it the full review along with the versions
I do already intend to review.  Subsequently, I would return the recording
to the sender.

As an example, I will be reviewing the Mosaiques and Lindsays recordings of
Haydn's Opus 76 String Quartets.  Additional comparative issues will be the
Kuijken set on Denon, Tokyo on Sony, and Tatrai on Hungaroton.  If a list
member would like any other sets reviewed, and I don't have them, we could
do the "sending" business as I detailed above.  I pledge not to keep the
discs sent to me.  I suppose it's not the greatest idea, but I can't think
of a better way to handle it.

Don Satz