From:
Kevin Sutton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 29 Oct 2000 01:38:18 -0500
Albie Cabrera wrote:

>NYPO,

Kurt Masur, has been there for five or six years.

>LAPO,

Esa-Pekka Salonen, quite some time now.

>Chicago SO

Daniel Barenboim, at least 6-7 years now.

>Cleveland SO

Christoph von Dohnanyi for many years, soon to be replaced by Franz
Welser-Moest

>Philadelphia SO

Wolfgang Sawallisch, for over ten years, soon to retire.

>Boston SO

Seiji Ozawa, for entirely too long, soon to depart, thank God.

>National SO-Washington DC,

Leonard Slatkin, now in his second or third season.

>Met Opera,

James Levine, for over 20 years now.

>Berlin PO,

Claudio Abbado, since Karajan died in 1989, soon to be replaced by Sir
Simon Rattle.

>Vienna PO (Do they even *have* a chief conductor, or to they only have
>guests?)

They do not have a chief conductor.

>La Scala Opera,

Ricardo Muti for some years now.

>London PO,
>London SO,

I am not certain that either of these orchestras have a permanent
conductor.  Deryk or Len would certainly know the correct answer to this
one.

>City of Birmingham SO (now that Rattle, I think, is in Berlin),

No successor has been named as yet.

>Royal Opera-Covent Garden,

Don't think they have a permanent conductor either.

>Royal Concertgebouw-Amsterdam,

Ricardo Chailly has been there for several years now.

>and Montreal (is it still Dutoit?).

Yes, he is.

>Any others I might have missed?

Those are the biggies, except for San Francisco, perhaps, which is led by
Michael Tillson Thomas.

Kevin Sutton