Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Fri, 27 Oct 2000 13:33:13 +0200
From:
Philip Peters <[log in to unmask]>
David Harbin wrote:

>Dear All, I have long been wanting to hear Beethoven's late string quartets
>and finally bought a 2 CD set from a slae bin (Budapest String Quartet, rec
>1940 & 1942 on Sony Masterworks Heritage Mono).
>
>I have quickly become hooked on this music.  The penultimate quartet is
>my favourite, especially the glowing slow movement and energetic finale.
>
>However, can I ask if there is a better version I should be listening to?

This music is so rich that it is indeed advisable to have more versions.
I don't think there is a *better* interpretation than this one (right,
Mimi? ;) or the recently reissued live recordings by the same ensemble
on Bridge.  The Alban Berg set is typically one to add to an existing
collection IMO but they *are* cheap indeed now.  And they are very
competent.

I believe the best sets are actually historical ones, especially the Busch
Qt.  - which is really as mandatory listening as the Budapest - but now
others have become or are becoming available again like the Flonzaley and
the Calvet.  But you should not care too much about sound quality with
these recordings from the twenties.

>From the sixties date a few of the very best sets: the Smetana Qt, the
Hungarian Qt.  (twice), the Juilliard, the Amadeus (if you can stand the
Brainin - I can), and, from 1967, the Guarneri (not to be confused with
their later traversal from the eighties which is very disappointing IMO),
the Loewenguth (but this never did not make it to CD as yet if it ever
will).  More recent sets which are better than most others to these ears:
the Yale Qt.  and the Suske Qt.  There is much more.

>Perhaps I stumbled on a good version the first time around (would be
>surprising knowing my luck in buying CDs).

Oh yes, you did!

Philip