From:
Virginia G Thorley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Sep 2000 08:28:30 +1000
Jeanette Panchula wrote some responses to the followiing, mainly looking at
possible reasons:
> The statement I was told was:  A 4 month old baby starts waking up in the=
>
> night after sleeping "through the night" - you should try to meet the
> baby's needs in other ways, but not feed it at this time or they'll
> establish a habit of waking again.

I'd like add a different perspective.  What about adult night-waking. It is
common - many adults wake in the night, without having a clinical problem.
They wake because of thirst, epec in summer or dry weather; they wake
becasue of a full bladder;  they wake because of earlier daylight after a
change of season; they wake because of a stressful day and an active mind;
they wake because of being too sedentary or napping in the day (and then not
needing so much sleep at night); they wake hungry after not eating much
during the day.  Mostly, it will be thirst or a full bladder.  I haven't
noticed anyone saying that an adult "mustn't" have a drink in the night, as
it will cause a bad habit, i.e. continued night-waking.
             Virginia
              in sunny Brisbane
where the birds are twittering near my window