From:
Denise Fisher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Sep 2000 08:21:13 +1000
Thank you Norma for sending in that article about how work is becoming more
homely and home becoming more like work.  I must say I totally agree with
the sentiments of the author. (Just this week we converted our dining room
into a home office for my dh and I!  Does this mean we won't entertain
friends anymore because we no longer have a dining room?)

I was discussing this situation of women 'having' to go back to work with
my parents and their friends - who, needless to say dont approve.  Their
theory is that our expectations of acquiring material things these days are
so much greater - the mortgages are bigger because the houses are bigger
and you have to have at least 2 cars, etc.  They were able to stay home
with their children because one wage did support the family... OK other
expectations were different too - ie. mothers don't go out to work! These
days mothers are expected to be back at work whether they need/want to or not.

We have 12 months unpaid maternity here in Australia.  Amongst my friends
having babies today I find that most plan to take the full 12 months and
return to part time work.  In your countries do you find that the
legislated length of maternity leave is what seems to determine length of
time at home with the baby?

I don't envy the policy makers.  It's difficult to balance the 'rights' of
the mother/father with the 'rights' of the baby.  And to make it broad
enough that no one feels they are being forced into a line of action that
they don't want to follow.

Denise