From:
Andrys Basten <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 Oct 2000 01:21:06 -0700
 [ I am late in reading the following thread, having just found it. ]

Joel Hill pointed out last Sunday that by going thru the Classical Net page
there would be some credit given the CN webpage by several music retailers
and that we should help out as much as possible.

Dave explains how this all works and posted very generous mentions of
a couple of our other sites and I wanted to thank him for that, not to
mention for Classical Net itself.

Classical Net is of course a labor-intensive project and filled with
meaningful content.  People should know the $benefits to the sites are
quite small, actually, but sometimes I think we do it just so we can get
logs of numbers visiting vendor pages to gauge whether people are enjoying
the main site's content and recommendations.  With a big site like this
one, any support helps.

That Dave allows others to also promote their own places on Dave's own list
is no small thing but that he took the time to remind people of other sites
with vendor affiliations just boggles my mind.  You don't see much of that
on the Net.  Or in the world.

In a way, the situation with classical music sales in the world (3% or so?)
is reflected online in that the main stores seem to downplay the classical
music sections, making them sometimes hard to find.  Recent studies show,
though, that there is considerably more interest shown in classical music
online than in the street stores, as the percentage of activity at stores
online shows a much heavier classical-music participation.  Maybe the
affiliate-programs help in this.

Thanks to Dave for his pioneering efforts here (with regard to content)
and an ever active interest in keeping discussions informative and civil
(another thing that is not always easily found online).

Andrys in Berkeley
http://andrys.com/ven-amer.html - Online music vendor pricing FAQs
http://andrys.com/coupons.html - Coupons, Sales