From:
Thanh-Tam Le <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Aug 2000 22:03:44 +0200
Virginia Knight <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Last week I went to a Promenade concert and heard Shostakovich's 2nd piano
>concerto (1957).  Afterwards my husband remarked that he believed this was
>the most recent piano concerto that is widely played.  We couldn't even
>think of many more recent piano concertos that aren't widely played!  Any
>suggestions?

It is true that piano concertos do not seem to have enjoyed the same
degree of exposure in the last 30-40 years, but still Mrs. Knight's
question prompted me to do some little research, and the following (far
from comprehensive) list of composers who have completed a piano concerto
after 1957 shows that the genre is far from being outmoded...  Most of
those works are available on CD. I have only quoted major composers to
my knowledge, many more concertos have been published, and quite a few
recorded as well.

Kalevi Aho, Frangiz Ali Zadeh, William Alwyn, Georgi Arnaoudov

Kees van Baaren, Osvaldas Balakauskas ("Sonata of the Mountains", sinfonia
concertante), Richard Rodney Bennett, Niels Viggo Bentzon (# 5-7), Erik
Bergman, Antonio Bibalo, Christopher Blake ("The Coming of Tane Mahuta"),
Philippe Boesmans, Gunnar Bucht, Geoffrey Burgon, Dimitrije Buzarovski

John Cage, Charles Camilleri (# 2 & 3), Edwin Carr, Elliott Carter

Nguyen-Thien Dao, Peter Maxwell Davies, Lex van Delden, Edison Denisov,
Jean Derbes, Dubravko Detoni (composed for Ivo Pogorelic in 1989)

Petr Eben, Ross Edwards, Klaus Egge, Einar Englund (# 2), Ulvi Cemal Erkin
(Concertant Symphony), Andrei Eshpai

Jindrich Feld

Bogdan Gagic (# 2), Harald Genzmer (# 3), Felix Glonti (Wanderjahre),
Alexander Goehr

Andre Hajdu (# 2), Iain Hamilton, Paavo Heininen (# 2 & 3), Mikko Heinio
(#1-6), Alun Hoddinott (#2 & 3), Hans Holewa, York Holler, Stanko Horvat

Andrew Imbrie (# 2 & 3)

John Joubert

Kadosa Pal (# 4), Jouni Kaipainen, Milko Kelemen (Transfigurations),
Talivaldis Kenins (Fantaisies concertantes, Concerto), Tristan Keuris,
Leon Kirchner (# 2), Herman David Koppel (# 4), Mark Kopytman, Hans Kox,
Hanna Kulenty

Aleksander Lason (Symphony No. 2 Concertante), Ligeti Gyorgy, Magnus
Lindberg, George Lloyd (# 1-4), Zdenek Lukas (# 3)

Ljubica Maric (Byzantine Concerto), Frank Martin (# 2), Philip Martin
(# 2), William Mathias (# 2 & 3), Janez Maticic (# 2), Teizo Matsumura
(# 2), John McCabe (# 1-3), Usko Merilainen (# 2), Miroslav Miletic

Pehr Henrik Nordgren, Gosta Nystroem (Concerto ricercante)

Aleksandar Obradovic, Maurice Ohana, Sean O Riada (Nomos 4)

Andrzej Panufnik, Barbara Pentland (I think)

Horatiu Radulescu, Einojuhani Rautavaara (# 1-3), Franz Reizenstein
(# 2), Nino Rota (in E), Poul Ruders

Sven David Sandstrom, Peter Sculthorpe, Tomislav Simovic, Robert Simpson,
Bent Sorensen, Bernard Stevens, Ronald Stevenson, Valentyn Sylvestrov

Akira Tamba, John Tavener, Alexander Tcherepnin (# 5 & 6), Olav Anton
Thommessen (one of the six works in "Et Glassperlespill" = A Glass-Bead
Game)

Boris Ulrich (# 2)

Joseph Vella, Gerard Victory (# 1 & 2), Kevin Volans

John Weinzweig, Judith Weir, Malcolm Williamson (# 3), Hugh Wood

I know that this list is not very evocative per se, but hopefully it will
be incentive for further exploration, and maybe listers (including myself)
will want to discuss some of those works a bit more in detail.

Best wishes,

Thanh-Tam Le