From:
Robin Newton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Jul 2000 10:45:13 GMT
I suspect this is going over ground many of you have covered in the past so
forgive me.

I read recently on the list a posting about a disc of Bernstein's with
music by Harris and Schuman.  It set me thinking about symphonic music in
the 20th century and I suddenly thought that there might be a whole section
of music that I'd not even vaguely dipped into.

I know Vaughan Williams, Elgar, Sibelius, Shostakovich, Prokoviev, Ives,
Tippett and Simpson of course but my knowledge of the 20th century is mostly
about Stravinsky, Bartok, Hindemith, Lutoslawski, Ligeti, Copland, Britten
and so on, then Lindberg, Carter, Norgard, Knussen, Matthews, Anderson,
Martland, Reich, Glass etc.

Is there a line of symphonists that runs through the 20th in to the 21st
century?  I've heard in the last few days Harris 3, Shuman 3, Hartmann 2,
Hoddinot 2, 3 and 5, Matthias 1, 2 and 3.  I know now about Sessions too but
I must be missing an awful lot.

The kind of symphonies written by Knussen are not at all the same.  They
stem really from Stravinsky more than anything and are highly concentrated
rather that expansive.

Can you all fill me in on the 20th century symphony?

Robin Newton