From:
Richard Pennycuick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Jan 2001 07:26:14 +1100
This is the same Sinding who wrote the ubiquitous Rustle of Spring and
probably condemned himself to be thought of as a writer of salon pieces and
not to be taken seriously.  For some time, I've been enjoying a Finlandia
CD of his Symphonies 1 and 2 by the Norwegian Radio Orchestra conducted
by Ari Rasilainen, who is also making something of a name for himself in
unusual repertoire such as symphonies by Englund and Rangstrom.  I had
previously heard the Sinding symphonies in rather elderly but serviceable
versions on NKF, but on the new version, they are played for all they're
worth:  very enjoyable late Romantic music.

Finlandia has followed this up with a CD of the 3rd and 4th symphonies
which are also available as a set with the other CD.  Further details are
on their website:

   http://www.warner-classics.com/finlandia/newreleasesf.html

although I wonder whether the quoted numbers are accurate.

Richard Pennycuick