Date:
Fri, 8 Dec 2000 15:54:26 EST
Norman Lebrecht writes:

>I can ably defend myself, but I choose not to do so against such
>inaccurate, intemperate and illiterate assaults as Kevin Sutton's.

One can, oh yes oh yes, approach the Lebrecht Problem from an angle other
than Kevin Sutton's.  Critics who are engaged to address mass audiences, as
Mr. Lebrecht is, must observe the basic strictures of their very special
niche.  They can't turn in a scholar's filigree work and hope to keep their
rough-and-ready jobs.  I try to catch Lebrecht as often as I can because he
deals with live music, live audiences, and live performers.  On this level
he is exceptionally well informed.  He is also an extraordinarily good
and lively writer,at least in the league he plays in.  Moreover, unlike
scholars, at least in most instances, he's committed to a professional life
hounded by deadlines.  No wonder he goofs now and then.  It's a wonder,
indeed, that he doesn't do it more often.  It's also something of a wonder,
at least to me, that he can handle the very considerabale background he has
in music without scholarly puff.  You know, collecting records, or selling
them isn't everything.  This list is lucky to have him and another fine
journalist, Janos Gereben, aboard.  IMHO.

Denis Fodor