From:
Kevin Sutton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Oct 2000 15:52:58 -0600
David Harbin wrote:

>Do people hear music differently if they are men/women? How would more info
>on the listener's sex influence your recommendations?

Humm, now this could open a real can of worms.  I haven't studied the
topic, but I was thinking in terms of gender and genre more on the basis
of sexual orientation rather than simply men vs.  women.  I think that
many gay men do listen to music differently that straight men do.  There
is, (and this comment is not based on any kind of expertise other than
personal experience) it seems to me, a tendency for gay men to relate more
emotionally to romantic music than straight guys do.  There are of course
exceptions, but I speak in rather broad terms.

I know that if I were trying to enchant a woman, (and I never have, so I
can't speak from experience) I would head more towards impressionism or
melodic baroque music.  For a guy, lush sweeping romantic stuff.  That
probably doesn't explain a thing, but it's my gut reation.

Kevin