From:
Philip Peters <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Oct 2000 03:59:32 +0100
Kevin Sutton wrote:

>There isn't anything to dislike about FD singing anything, but for a long
>time, he was one of only a few choices, and he recorded the damn thing 15
>times (perhaps I exaggerate).

There are ten commercially issued recordings.

>I think it's the old addage that familiarity breeds contempt.  FD is so
>omnipresent in the world of lieder singing that he is easily taken for
>granted.

I still listen to him often.  I think his Winterreise with Demus is one of
the most glorious recordings of the work.  (But then so are his earlier and
his later versions with Moore).  I wonder whether anyone is familiar with
Hermann Schey's recording?

Philip