From:
David Harbin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Oct 2000 11:36:38 -0700
Dear All, I have long been wanting to hear Beethoven's late string quartets
and finally bought a 2 CD set from a slae bin (Budapest String Quartet, rec
1940 & 1942 on Sony Masterworks Heritage Mono).

I have quickly become hooked on this music.  The penultimate quartet is
my favourite, especially the glowing slow movement and energetic finale.

However, can I ask if there is a better version I should be listening to?
I have heard that the Alan Berg EMI set is good (cheap at 5 per CD too) and
that the Veagh Quartet is said to be the best modern set.

Perhaps I stumbled on a good version the first time around (would be
surprising knowing my luck in buying CDs).

All the best + thanks,

David H.
Nottingham, UK