From:
John Smyth <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Oct 2000 18:09:19 -0700
I'm looking for a good set of Bach's Violin Sonatas.  Don Satz enjoys
Holloway on Virgin, but the Penguin Guide calls some of his sounds
downright "ugly." I hope this is an exaggeration, as the price is hard
to beat.  I am leaning toward the Opus 111, with Biondi/Alessandrini.
Of course, there is always Manze, who has provided me endless delight
w/ his Biber Sonatas and Geminiani's Concerti Grossi; but Gramophone
is cautious, saying that the sound isn't always pleasant and Manze is
uncharacteristically uncomfortable in a few moments.  Fanfare raves over
Manze.  Then some gush over Grimiaux on mid-priced Philips....help!

I am interested in a good Art of the Fugue, though probably an instrumental
version.  Opus 111 offers the Concerto Italiano at mid-price, but
Gramophone says that, while their arrangement is often captivating, they
sometimes "miss Bach's point." I have the ASMF/Marriner version of Musical
Offering, and it's one modern-instrument Bach recording I WON'T be getting
rid of--it's so beautiful, even if a little "flabby" by today's standards.
With this in mind, is their Art of Fugue as magical? (Or should I just go
w/ the award winning Moroney solo on HM?)

John Smyth