From:
John Parker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 Oct 2000 20:53:19 -0700
There are times I "think" I have burned out on Beethoven's symphonies
and I cannot bear the thought of listening to one.  Then I will decide
to listen to one, and I will wonder why in the world I was thinking that.
Right now, I have gone quite a spell without listening to any of the string
quartets because I have been feeling as though I have had enough of them
awhile, but I suspect part of the reason is that I have so many quartets
from so many different composers that I just haven't got around to
Beethoven recently.  And I suspect that when I return, I will remember
again why Beethoven is the composer that I think of first whenever I
think of greatness in music.

And I cannot imagine ever wearying of the piano trios.  And on those less
common occasions when I am in the mood for solo piano music, nine times out
of ten it will be one of the Beethoven sonatas, which I find to be among
the most beautiful bodies of work in all of classical music.

I might need a rest sometimes, but I doubt that I would ever say that I
"don't like" Beethoven anymore.

Regards,
John Parker