From:
Dave Lampson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Oct 2000 13:20:19 -0700
Nearly a month ago (Sept 21) I posted an article about CD bronzing and an
audit of my CD collection.  On Sept 12, I faxed a copy of a listing of 131
discs needing replacement to PDO.  On Sept 27, I emailed a message to PDO
notifying them that I had found three more defective discs, bringing the
total to 134.  The purpose of this posting is to relate my experiences
since my last posting on this.  If you have any questions about this topic,
please check the list archives for the Sept 21 posting.

About Sept 23 I received a post card from PDO notifying me that they had
received my request for replacements.  A couple of days before that I sent
an email message to their help line asking for status (to make sure they
did, in fact, receive my list).  I received an affirmative email response
the next day.

It was then quiet until yesterday when I received the first (I hope) batch
of replacements from PDO in Blackburn, Lancashire (I live in California).
In the mail was a large mailing envelope containing 35 discs in protective
cloth sleeves.  Unfortunately, there was absolutely no documentation with
this shipment (not even a return address!), so I have to assume this will
be the first of three or four such packages.  As to what they sent, they
seem to be working their way down my list, so most of what I received was
on the ASV label, with a handful from Albany, CRD, Collins, and a couple
of Hyperions.  (For those interested in such trivia, 134 discs in paper
sleeves will make a pile about eight inches tall.)

So far, so good.  PDO seems to be reasonably responsive and cooperative.
They have not required that I send in defective discs, and that's a plus.

It also occurs that I might not have been as complimentary of Hyperion's
role in all of this.  Hyperion has been extremely responsible in their
handling of what could have been a debacle.  They have pro-actively
supplied lists of possibly defective discs (again, see the archives for
more info) and, though I don't know this for a fact, I suspect they put
considerable pressure on PDO to step up and provide replacements.  Kudos
to Hyperion management and staff.

I'll post another update as soon as I have something new to report.

Dave
http://www.classical.net/