From:
Deryk Barker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Oct 2000 19:08:05 -0700
Gretchen Ehrenberg ([log in to unmask]) wrote:

>Here in Los Angeles, whilst KUSC was doing there fund-raising drive (a
>necessary evil, I suppose) and I could no longer stand another "you give
>us 22 minutes, we'll play Nessun Dorma" I found myself in a traffic jam
>listening to (my beloved nutcase) Percy Grainger's Arrival Platform Humlet.
>At that sublime moment, nothing else mattered.

I know just what you mean.  I fell in love with Grainger's music about 15
years ago, while travelling in the West of England.  Driving along on a
sunny day between (IIRC) Bath and somewhere else...well, it was near the
point where the old Somerset Coal Canal joined the Kennet and Avon if that
means anything to anyone...and the BBC played Blythe Bells.  Rushed out and
bought the CD (the Bournemouth/Montgomery on Chandos) and have been
fascinated ever since.

However, it's also confessoin time.  I think it's the second movement of
In a Nutshell (Humlet being the first) which is the evocation of Edwardian
Music Hall and there is one phrase which irresistably reminds me of "I've
got a pussy-cat and I'm very fond of that" from the song "Daddy wouldn't
buy me a bow-wow".  Wonder which came first.

BTW an entire Prom this season was devoted to Grainger, and included his
arrangement of Danny Boy which employed the Solovox - they had the only
remaining example in the world for the performance.

Deryk Barker