From:
Thanh-Tam Le <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Oct 2000 03:01:32 -0400
If David Shallon's death is confirmed, then it would be very sad news
indeed.  Not only was he a great conductor, but also a very kind man.
We played Vaughan Williams's Tallis Fantasia and Stravinsky's Concerto for
strings with him in a French summer festival, 20 years ago.  Definitely one
of my fondest memories from that period.

Are any of his performances of 20th-century Israeli music available on CD?
I can only think of one published by the Israeli Music Institute
(http://www.aquanet.co.il/vip/imi/):

Yinam LEEF (1953)
Symphony No.1 (1981/92)
Violin Concerto (1983)
Bat-Sheva Savaldi-Kohlberg, violin
Jerusalem Symphony Orchestra, David Shallon, conductor
MII CD 16 (1995)

I also remember his conducting the Psalm from Paul Ben-Haim's Symphony
No. 1 (1940) on a radio broadcast, as well as Joseph Tal's Symphony No. 5
(1991).  Ben-Haim's symphony as a whole is an impressive statement, well
worth a revival.  As for Tal's 5th, there is no doubting its directness
and powerful, uncompromising eloquence.  I seem to recall that it was
performed, maybe even premiered by the Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra and
Daniel Barenboim.

Best wishes,

Thanh-Tam Le