From:
Richard Pennycuick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Oct 2000 21:23:57 +1100
Sam Kemp:

>Does anyone know which of Haydn's masses are classified as the "late
>masses"?

I would assume the Nelson Mass, Heiligmesse, Scho"pfungmesse,
Harmoniemesse, Theresienmesse, and Paukenmesse.

>And does anybody have a preferred cycle of these that they could
>recommend to me?

I'm more than happy with the complete set of the masses on London 448 518-2
(7 CDs - mine cost about 7 Naxoses) conducted variously by Simon Preston,
George Guest and David Willcocks, and recorded between 1962 and 1980.
The deciding consideration may well be the use of boys' voices which are
anathema to some.  The first of these recordings I ever heard was the
Nelson Mass and many hearings later, it still moves me as few other works
can.

Richard Pennycuick