From:
Norman Lebrecht <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Oct 2000 10:57:29 +0100
Stee Schwartz said:

>I still think a Real Mahlerian has to do the entire cycle ...

In that case, Otto Klemperer does not qualify as a real Mahlerian.

OK said that he was never convinced by M3 and M5 and therefore would not
perform them.  His late conversion to M7 was strangely unedifying.

Conductors do not think like librarians, or collectors.  The best of them
discriminate between what suits them and does not.

The complete cycle is a marketing gimmick espoused by the now-defunct
classical recording industry.  I respect musicians who resist industrial
pressures and follow the dictates of their conscience and instincts.
To hell with completeness.  It is usually the opposite of integrity.

Norman Lebrecht