From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Sep 2000 20:05:17 GMT
Although a few differences of opinion have come up on the list concerning
the virtue of CM as a sleep-inducing tool, I think it's just a matter of
perspective.  I had previously stated that I wasn't enamored of the notion
that CM be considered sleep-inducing; Kevin Sutton replied that the use of
CM for helping with insomnia was a worthy function.  I don't disagree with
Kevin at all.  I was just thinking of all the folks who consider classical
music a "bore" which puts them to sleep through lack of stimuation, not as
a method to alleviate insomnia.  The way I see it, any tool which helps an
insomniac get some sleep is very worthy.

For myself, any kind of music at any volume generally helps me get to
sleep, although it might be more a function of my lying down on my back
with headphones on in the living room.  Still, it amazes me that I can
snooze off when some very loud music is coming through the speakers.  I
have tried to analyze my cat's sleeping patterns to gain some insight about
sleeping well; cats are great in that respect.  My conclusion is that they
sleep fine and often because there isn't much going on in their minds and
they feel emotionally secure.  Since that describes me quite well, I fully
expect to be able to emulate their patterns before long.  Learn from your
pets!

Don Satz