From:
Philip Jongeneel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 Sep 2000 15:09:03 +0100
Berlin Philharmonic at the Proms, London 28 and 29 August
Bernard Haitink
Natalia Gutman (cello)
Wolfgang Christ (viola)

Monday-
Wagner: Prelude and liebestod (Tristan and Isolde)
Bruckner: Symphony # 7

Tuesday-
Strauss: Don Quixote
Beethoven: Symphony # 7

Robin Mitchell-Boyask wrote:

>...earlier this week while on a visit to London (free babysitting with
>grandparents!), my wife and I were able to enjoy an absolutely magnificent
>performance with him and the Berliners.  While I've admired Haitink before,
>nothing prepared me for these transcendent readings of Wagner's Tristan
>Prelude and Bruckner 7th.  In the latter especially I'm not sure I've ever
>heard such a complete unanimity among conductor, composer and musicians.

Without any doubt, the two concerts given by the BPhO under Haitink must be
the high point of this years Prom season.  Those of us who were able to be
there, were treated to unsurpassed music making.  It really doesn't get any
better than this.

When I read that Haitink was to replace the indisposed Claudio Abbado, I
was secretly pleased.  Not that I want to malign Abbado, but the chance to
hear Haitink at the helm of the Berlin Philharmonic excited me immensely.
I expected great things from this collaboration.  What was delivered was
even greater.

Each of the four works played had readings particularly suited for that
work.  Robin described Monday's concert quite nicely.  I will delve briefly
into Tuesday's concert.  Don Quixote was delivered with the sarcastic bite
that sets it apart from Strauss' other tone poems.  Too often it is played
as a latter Don Juan.  I would like to think that the performance must have
been what Strauss really had in mind.  In trying to find a description of
the Beethoven 7th performance, I come to to the conclusion that I cannot do
so in musical terms.  It was, to crudely say, "picture perfect"...maybe I
can compare it to a great wine, smooth, yet with the rich and complex
flavors only a great wine can offer.

>Why Philips hasn't done live recordings with him, I'll never know.

Here is a chance for Philips or DGG to produce a couple of great discs.

>And once again I learned that great orchestras sound so different in person
>that one is almost tempted to give up collecting.  The Berlin strings in
>particular are absolutely indescribable.

How true, the fabulous quality of the Berlin sound has yet to be captured
on any recording medium.  It MUST be heard in a live concert.  This proves
that in the "Live versus Recording" debates, "Live" must always win out.
Witness the fact that the BPhO concerts guarantee full houses at each of
their concerts...not to mention the whole raison d'etre of the Proms in the
first place.

PS Haitink will be back for the another Prom next Wednesday with the BBC
Symphony playing Beethoven's 9th.

Philip Jongeneel