From:
Mats Norrman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Aug 2000 19:05:46 +0200
I have got queries why I suggested Gutmans book on Herr Wagner as a first
choice on my short list.  I first intended to give biographies of different
times and angles which together might provide a broader spectrum on Wagner.
Gutman is a typical biography of the postwartendences in the 60ies, and
therefore it joined my list.  But I didn't had the guts nor time to right
at that occasion, where my result following the intent naturally became
erratic.  Criticism overtossed in private mail was justified.

Let me suggest this booklist instead (not necessary to be read in this
order most prudently):

* Ernest Newman, "The Life of Richard Wagner 1-4" (1933-47).  This is the
standard biography.  A classical one sozusagen.

* Carl F. Glasenapp, "Das Leben Richard Wagners 1-6" (1894-1911).
Glasenapp was a personal friend of Wagner, and has a somewhat admirable
wiew.

* Thomas Mann, "Wagner und unsere Zeit".  Mann had much to say on Wagner,
and is an interesting writer as well.

* Hans Mayer, "Richard Wagner in Bayreuth, 1876-1976" (1976)

* F.H. Toernblom, "Wagner" (1942).  This one is biased.  It doesn't even
mention his "antisemitism" I think.

* Robert Gutman, "Richard Wagner, the Man, his Mind and his Music" (1968).
Gutman loves Wagners music, that can well be sensed in his book.  He keeps
rather balanced; he mentions Wagners "antisemitism" with disguist, so his
infernalic behaviour, but also points out Wagenrs Jewish friends, and some
of his projewish actings.  In the end Gutman can't hold back any more and
spits on "Parsifal".

* Marc Weiner, "Richard Wagner and the antisemitic Imagination".  Well,
read yourself.  I am sure Don Satz will report in some week.

* Gustav Ernest, "Rickard Wagner, sein Leben und Schaffen" (1915).
Recommendable.  Notice the year of completance.

And of course you mustn't forget this little wiew on only 2-3 pages:

* Deems Taylor, "The Monster". Simply fun. But hold your hats!

These biographies together should give a multicoloured spectrum on Ricky,
but of course it is always the best to dig the letters for oneself, to form
a wiew "from the ground".  Of course there is also the autobiography "mein
Leben", but it is very erratic, with many memorymistakes, and it treats
some of Wagners fortunes, for example Otto Wesendonck, a bit harsh.  It was
also "edited" by Cosima.  There is also Wagenrs notebook "Das Braune Buch",
which might be more reliable than the autobiography, had not Cosima edited
this one also.  The earlier notebook "Das rote Buch" which Wagner wrote in
from 1835(!!) and onwards for autobiography purpose, is forever lost.
Alas!  rest in peace, truth!

For more interesting Wagnerrelated reading I recommend:

* F. Nietzsche, "The Case Wagner".  (Very turgid language though).

* G.B. Shaw, "The perfect Wagenrite" (1898-1901).  The standard
"Communist"-explanation to the Ring of Niebelheim.  Many on the list has
surely read it, and thats just fun for them.  Shaw naturally ignores all
other possible interpretations, what is a pity I think.  In my Swedish
edition, I got some reviews in addition, and some barking on Brahms, which
was fun.  But Shaw is sparesome, and his writing is of more curiousity
interest I think.  For a more extended marxist wiew, check out Werner
Wolfs book.

* Robert Donington, "Wagners Ring and its Symbols" (1963).  Another
interpretation of the Ring, and its creator unterwegs; a completely
Jung-inspired psychoanalysis of the Rings characters and its development.
Highly recommendable.

Henny van der Groep [[log in to unmask]] responds to me:

>Marc Weiner's book is an excellent book if you want to know more about
>a composer's life in it's time or the context.  Musically, Historically,
>Philosophically and Psychologically he knows exactly where he's talking
>about.

I say this once, hopefully for last time; You cannot - cannot - argue that
Wagner caused the WWII because of some neurotic behaviour that has nothing
with antisemitism to do.  It is just absurd nonsence!  Wingflatting of a
butterfly doesn't cause a Gewittersturm!  Not even in Blokker!  (But
possibly in the operaaudience....).

Donald Satz [[log in to unmask]] wrote:

>I picked up the Weiner book at the library yesterday and, so far, it is an
>interesting reading experience.  Mats might be right that there's a bias
>emanating from Mr. Weiner, but a biography of Wagner which glossed over
>the bigotry element would be biased as well.

I agree here.  Toernbloms Wagnerbook doesn't IIRC mention Wagners notorious
"antisemitism" with one word.  I must admit it gives a very flattend out
perspective.  It is just that I think it is very boring as well to read
those "Wagner-Monster"-biographies that circulate, as it is just "kitsch"
(if that word can be negative).  They are in most cases examples of exactly
the same hatred as they accuse Wagner for.

>Opinions aside, "bigotry" and history have cemented Hitler to Wagner

And "Antisemit" is not the right label on any of them.  You do right in
avoiding that word, even if I don't know if you did this time intentionally
or intuatively or whatever.

>I know this doesn't sit well with many Wagner advocates, but Wagner largely
>brought this upon himself through his writings and all-star personality.
>The man has "skeletons" in his closet and the doors are wide open.  No
>degree of advocacy can turn that around.

Have you never thought it interesting to think when you see a person
behave in a certain way:  "Why did he do that?".  I am a Wagnerite, all
know that by now, and I can agree on many lousiness behaviour of Wagner,
and others, but what I think is interesting is to see the reasons and
explain, because...therein you will also see the glimpse of genious
mind....

>AND, Wagner's situation can be a great example to current/future masterful
>artists that, regardless of the genius of their art, other aspects of
>their lives might well receive much attention after their demise.

No, you talk rutabaga!  You just pick one example, not even looking on
other examples.  I wonder how you seriously can make such statements; if
a historian should write his book that way, the whole etablishment should
laugh.  Did you have lowest mark in scientific methodology in school? Bet
you had.

One counterexample will be enough:  Franz Liszt's book "Die Zigeuner und
die Volksmusik von Ungarn" (="The Gypsies and the Folkmusic of Hungary")
is - if it is now possible to rank the louse to the flea - a much more
horrible example on racehatred and antisemitism than anything Wagner ever
wrote (I include "Ueber das Judentum in der Musik" here), still Liszt
hasn't got nearly the same "reputation" as Wagner.  Neither did Tjajkovskij
- another rabiat antisemit.  And "why?" is of course interesting....

Mats Norrman