From:
Female Schatz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Aug 2000 12:17:37 -0700
Mahler just barely missed the beginning of the age of recording.  Does
anyone know of any good sources that discuss Mahler's conducting technique
and/or what it was like to attend a performance that he led? Did any of
Mahler's contemporaries ever point to a conductor who has been recorded
who bore a resemblance to Mahler?

Part of why I am asking this is because from what I have read, Mahler
sounds a lot like Bernstein (i.e.  unafraid to use fairly extreme tempos
and dynamics, unafraid to be a bit over the top with drama and energy and
intensity).  On the other hand, one of the criticisms that I have heard of
Bernstein's Mahler is that there was too much of Bernstein in it and too
little of Mahler.  Comparing the two seems like an interesting, if
uncertain, excercise.

On a somewhat related question, I am aware that Mahler reorchestrated some
of the Beethoven symphonies for performances that he led.  Can anyone point
me in the direction of a recording of these reorchestrations?

Female Schatz <[log in to unmask]>