From:
Richard Pennycuick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Jul 2000 15:14:14 +1000
Mats Norrman:

Deryk Barker <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>>So we have the following situation:
>>
>>Orginal edition: 1-6, 7 (Great C major), 8 (Unfinished)
>>"Intermediate": 1-6, 7 (D729 - frag), 8 (Unfinished), 9 (GCM)
>>New edition: 1-6, 7 (Unfinished), 8 (GCM).
>
>I wished they gave up the new edition and continued useing the version
>Mister Barker labells "Internediate"

I'm inclined to agree with Mats on this.  The editor(s) of the new
edition can, of course, use whatever numbering they please, but it seems
they've included in the numbered canon only those symphonies that Schubert
orchestrated.  That leaves us with the messy identification of the others
by Deutsch numbers or keys, both of which are less easy to remember.  The
music world has quite happily accepted Mahler's 10th in the Cooke
performing edition, so why not Schubert's "other" symphonies?

Daniel Christlein wrote of a Schubert symphony in E he has which he
said "has been assumed to be the Gastein Symphony" and "contains a lot
of thematic material also found in other works, most notably the Wanderer
Fantasy".  The Schubert Symphony in E that I mentioned was orchestrated by
Weingartner and is the same as the D729 symphony on the Marriner set of
the complete symphonies.  The symphony I have thought to be the Gastein
symphony is the Symphony in C on a Naxos CD, and is an orchestration by
Joachim of the Grand Duo (for two pianos), D812.  My understanding is that
there is only *thought* to be a Gastein symphony and it *might* be that the
Grand Duo was a version of it because of its decidedly symphonic structure
to which Schumann drew attention.  The Symphony in D, D936a, was first
recorded, AFAIK, by Pierre Bartholomee on Ricercar, and later by Marriner
and others, and is known to some as #10.  Schubert's work list in the
New Grove (not the new New Grove) is littered with symphonic fragments,
sketches and so on, and I have no idea which have been recorded.  Grove
uses the New edition numbering - as outlined by Deryk - parenthetically.
I suppose the easiest person to blame for this mess is Schubert, although
had he lived longer, the situation may well have been worse.

Richard Pennycuick