From:
David Harbin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Jul 2000 06:31:32 -0700
I found a wonderful bargin on the budget-priced Virgin Classics doubles
label.  It was of Bach cantats etc performed by Andrew Parrott and the
Taverner Consort.

The first work is my favourite.  It is a flowing (but not hurried)
Magnificat with a greatly reduced number of voices and thrilling period
orchestral sound.  The detail exposed by the reduced forces allows the
horns, trumpets, an organ and strings more room to breathe and shine.

The singing is first rate, especially the bass (try track 5).

Parrott keeps things moving and the music almost seems to dance and smile
in places.  Gardiner sounds too strict in comparison.  Above all it is
the sheer character and colour of the performance that impresses.

The sound on the first disk is a little dry (EMI, Abbey Road recording)
but the second disk (Virgin, church acoustic) is much better.

I see that the Taverner Consort's B Minor Mass was recently selected as the
BBC Radio 3 Building a Library top choice.  I was wondering if anyone could
recommend any other disks buy these artists?

All the best,

David H.
Nottingham