From:
Kevin Sutton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Jul 2000 01:35:51 -0500
A recent trip to the newly stocked cut out bin at Tower (my beloved
employer) led me to some of the music of Alberic Magnard.  My initial
interest in this composer was sparked when he got a considerable mention
in a Debussy bio that I was reading.

The cut out bin delivered the following:

Sonata for cello and piano, op 20 played by Thomas Demenga and Christoph
Keller
Promenades for piano, opus 7 (Mr. Keller)
Accord 220562

String quartet in e minor, opus 16
Artis Quartet of Vienna
Accord 220602

These discs have made a good impression on me as they have been given
repeated playings in the last week or so, which is pretty unusual at my
house.

I was pleased to find in the store playstack a recent recording on BIS
of the 2nd and 4th symphonies played by the Malmo orchestra under Thomas
Sanderling.  I was only able to listen to the second, but was quite taken
by its rich harmonies and lyric beauty.  Quite a fine work indeed on first
impression.

I would like to explore all of the symphonies (I think there are four)
and I was very pleased with what I heard on BIS.  There is, however, a
set recorded on Hyperion with the BBC Scottish SO with Jean-Yves Ossance
conducting.  Does anyone have a strong opinion for or against either of
these sets?

I would also be curious to learn more about this composer.  I don't have
handy access to a Grove and a search on Classical net turned up with no
entries for this composer.  A web search turned up very little useful
information.  I am quite taken with this man's music and would love to
hear more.  Recommendations by listers of any recordings of his music
that are noteworthy would be appreciated.

Kevin Sutton