From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Jul 2000 23:26:38 GMT
Bill Pirkle asks of me:

>I tried to come up with the most flexible def. I could.  It describes
>all the music I have ever heard.  In the interest of making it better,
>would you plese tell me where it restricts your options and freedoms.

Sure thing.  First, none of Bill's definitions affords the individual any
choice in the matter.  Second, a good definition should have some lasting
power.  Bill mentions that his definition " describes all the music I have
ever heard".  But, perhaps, it does not describe all the music Don Satz or
others have ever heard.  And what of the future? We can't possibly now be
aware of all the sounds or possible music over the horizon.

Dave's definition fits the past, present, and future.  While being the most
expansive definition possible, it also gives supreme weight to the internal
person.

Don Satz