From:
Greg Conn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Jul 2000 23:57:39 -0400
Steve Schwartz <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Now I happen to believe that Brahms does every facet of composition
>as well as I can imagine it done and that Haydn has at least 5 astonishing
>ideas on every page of his music,but I don't know how in heaven's name
>to compare meaningfully either of their music to that of Arnold Rosner,
>Benjamin Lees, Elliott Carter, or Milton Babbitt - to name four quite
>different contemporary composers.

Good heavens Steve!  Surely you cannot be serious in suggesting that Arnold
Rosner is in the same league as Brahms or that Milton Babbitt is in the
same league as Haydn.  Following your line of reasoning that you "don't
know how to meaningfully compare...their music" would you also consider
Elliot Carter to be on a par with Beethoven?

"Greg Conn" <[log in to unmask]>