From:
Bert Bailey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Jul 2000 20:45:35 -0400
Ralf Oehlmann wrote:

>The only Rostropovich recording of Shostakovich's 1st cello concerto I've
>seen is with Ozawa on Erato.

Well then you need to dash out for the Sony: Masterworks Heritage
re-release of his 1959 (stereo) rendering of this concerto under Ormandy,
with the Philadelphia Orchestra.  It came out in 1998, and I still see it
in the bins, selling very well (at mid-price).

It comes superbly well paired with the first, 1956 (mono) recording of
DSCH's 1st Violin Concerto: featuring David Oistrakh with Mitropolous
conducting the New York Philharmonic.  (MHK 63327)

No fan of these DSCH masterpieces should be without this CD.

Bert Bailey, in Ottawa