From:
Deryk Barker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Jul 2000 18:17:19 -0700
Thus countered Steve Schwartz ([log in to unmask]):

>Peter Varley replies to me replying to him:
>
>>1) There are truly worthwhile composers whose music wasn't heard because
>>it didn't conform to the avant-garde party line.  Some have been discovered
>>in the 1990s, and it's likely that there are others who haven't been
>>discovered yet.
>
>This sounds suspiciously like an article of faith, rather than a deduction
>from solid evidence.

While "wasn't heard" may be exaggerating, there is no doubt that in Britain
during the era of the late William Glock certain composers were more or
less ignored by the BBC in favour of others who, as we might now say,
didn't really "have legs".

Robert Simpson (who was definitely one of the ignorees) wrote trenchantly
about this in his book "The Proms and Natural Justice".

Deryk Barker