From:
Scott Morrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Jul 2000 17:53:50 -0500
series of American Music CDs, Dave Lampson wrote:

>I'm sure others will also have recommendations, right, Scott?

Paging me?

I wrote a long very positive review of the CD containing music of Carter
Pann which can be seen in MCML's archives (just do a search for 'Pann').
I glowed all over it.  I made one mistake (at least).  I identified a
quotation as being Beethoven and then when I listened again I realized it
was Tchaikowsky.  Ah, well, those two are SO much alike!

I also wrote a short, dismissive note on the music of Edmund Dede which is
at the Amazon.com site:

   Amateur music, amateur performances
   May 20, 2000
   Reviewer: Scott Morrison

   Edmond Dede was a free-born Creole of color born in the 1820s in New
   Orleans.  He moved to France and lived most of his adult life in
   Bordeaux, where he had an active musical life, primarily as a theatre
   conductor.  The music on this disc is presented primarily, I imagine,
   because it represents music by an early African-American composer.
   It is primarily in the form of quadrilles, galops, waltzes and the
   like.  One can easily imagine some of this music played at house
   parties or dances.  Unfortunately, I can't imagine wanting to hear
   it more than once.  And the performances themselves, although spirited,
   are pretty clunky.

I admire Naxos for recording so much unknown American music, but I think
they might have picked something better than this.

And finally, I too wrote a glowing report of the Benjamin Lees' recording
noted above:

   A profound and moving meditation on the Holocaust
   March 15, 2000
   Reviewer: Scott Morrison

   Naxos is to be praised for bringing us so much otherwise unknown
   American music.  I was knocked out by this symphony the first time
   I heard it and have listened to it now perhaps 15 times.  I keep
   finding new things in it.  Structurally it's as tight as anything
   I've ever heard from Lees, whose music I've explored for thirty years
   now.  (I hope to God his new Concerto for Percussion and Orchestra
   are recorded soon; talk about a knockout!) I disagree with the
   preceding reviewer who complained about Kimball Wheeler's voice.  It
   sounds luscious to me and perfect for the Jewish cantillation of the
   vocal part.  Buswell is his usual sterling self.  I heartily recommend
   this piece for its emotional wallop.

Scott Morrison