From:
Christopher Webber <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Jun 2000 00:32:23 +0100
Roger Hecht <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>.... could you please explain the Downes [Bax 3rd on RCA] to me.  I have
>tried several times with this recording with no success.  I mentioned it
>once negatively in print and plan to do so again.  Maybe I just don't get
>it, but I'm open to suggestions of what I'm missing here.  It just seems
>to drag lifelessly, and Downes does not seem to have a feel for it or know
>what to do with it.

I know this record has always had a bad press.  It was I believe made on
the spur of the moment, as an unscheduled replacement for some cancelled
(opera recital?) sessions.

I have always enjoyed the performance for Downes' clear-headed sense of
direction, but find the RCA LP recording quality muddy and dull, certainly
far from flattering to a somewhat deadbeat-sounding LSO.

A good CD remastering would, I suspect, reveal a performance of the quality
you - quite rightly - associate with Sir Edward.  Fat chance, I fear.

Christopher Webber,  Blackheath, London,  UK.
http://www.nashwan.demon.co.uk/zarzuela.htm
"ZARZUELA!"