Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Sun, 27 Aug 2000 21:51:03 +0200
From:
Peter Lundin <[log in to unmask]>
Steve M. wrote:

>I am looking for a good recording of Shostakovich's 7th Symphony.  The
>nearest record store to where I live has Bernstein's NYPO recording on Sony
>and Haitink's Decca recording.  Which one of these should I get? Are there
>better recordings that are currently in print in the States (ooh now that
>makes it tough!)?

Neither impress and Bernsteins later CSO recording is really spiked.
Nope, for DDS 7'th You should turn to Ancerl on Supraphon with the Czech
PO (1957) or for a newer rendition Ashkenazy on DECCA with the St.  P-burg
Phils (1997).  Both are in resp.  labels current catalogue, which does not
prove anything - least for the US, but I've been surprised before.  BTW;
The Supraphon is cheaply buyable from Czech internet vendors, I belive even
Dave recomended such a while back?

peter lundin, gothenburg.se -  Counting the days: DDS 100 (1906-2006)

 [Sure is: http://www.musicabona.com/ priced at US$11.90 and I do recommend
 them highly.  -Dave]