Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Tue, 25 Jul 2000 08:47:38 +0100
From:
Simon Foster <[log in to unmask]>
BMG Classics in Japan has just released a completely new re-mastering
of the complete Shostakovich symphonies with Kondrashin and the Moscow
Philharmonic.  The indifferent BMG (International) CDs from 1994 (74321
19839 - 48) are completely eclipsed - the Japanese sound engineers have
performed miracles with the original master tapes.  I understand it is
'unlikely' that these new masterings will be made available as an
international set with English, French, German notes.

For many of us it will be the appearance of the Fourth symphony in stereo
on CD for the first time which will be the biggest draw.  The 1994 CD was
mistakenly transferred from a mono tape, even though there had been stereo
LPs available before.

The symphonies are still on 10 CDs but coupled differently - and more
logically:

   1, 2 & 3   BVCX-37016
   4          BVCX-37017
   5 & 6      BVCX-37018
   7          BVCX-37019
   8          BVCX-37020
   9 & 10     BVCX-37021
   11         BVCX-37022
   12 & 15    BVCX-37023
   13         BVCX-37024
   14         BVCX-37025

On behalf of International Record Review, I've been in contact with a
Japanese e-tailer CD Japan www.cdjapan.co.jp <http://www.cdjapan.co.jp>
who can supply all Japanese 'local' CDs by secure credit card, mail-order
anywhere in the world.  Although CD Japan does not advertise classical CDs
on its site, it will make every effort to obtain any CD/CD set through its
'Special Order' service, at local Japanese prices + shipping.

The Kondrashin CDs are at mid-price.

Maybe now's the time to consider getting Kondrashin's GM 1, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
& 9 which is an 8 CD boxed set:  BVCX-37008/15!

(Just to add I have no financial link with CD Japan - but IRR will be
reviewing Japanese local CDs from the August issue onwards, including the
Shostakovich, and I wanted to make absolutely sure that there was a
reliable way to make purchases easily)

Simon Foster