From:
Virginia G Thorley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Sep 2000 14:31:03 +1000
Jo-Anne Elder asked about problems of older Mums with breastfeeding.  A goodly proportion of my private clients are older, and I don't particularly notice age-related factors, other than occasionally the shock of not having an ordered lifestyle After Baby (but I've seen that in very young Mums, too).
     One Mum, however, came to me with her 4th baby, after having no problems with breastfeeding the other three.  It took some working out, what was causing the less-than-optimal latch.  In the end I found that she was slumping forward and it came down to posture.  When I mentioned this, she thought maybe her breasts had sugged more, but it wasn't that - if she sat in a better posture, they weren't noticeably saggy.  I'd get her to sit up, get her to attach the baby (easily) and next thing she'd be slumped forward again and things would not be right.  Why she leant forward with this baby and (apparently) not the others, I have no idea.  Tireder?  However, I put this situation down to a behaviour of the particular mother, rather than to her being older.
     I've just gone NOMAIL so that I can rest.  However, I welcome private meails.
               Virginia