From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Oct 2000 15:25:50 GMT
Harry Pickett writes:

>My wife is amazed at the fact I buy many interpretations of the same
>work.  Also I like comparing the 'new kids of the block' to established
>interpretations, ie Hilary Hahn's Bach.

I find that having many recordings of the same work is more troublesome
with my spouse than the overall volume of recordings.  In an attempt to
resolve this to a degree, one day I related to my wife that I was writing
reviews of discs with selected comparisons.  She asked to look at one of
the reviews, and I gave her the review I did of Bach WTC Book II piano
recordings.  She did try to go through it, but it couldn't have much
meaning since she has no knowledge of the music.  I also told her of
my intent to review recordings of Bach's Cello Suites, and related how
I had just received a complimentary copy of a set performed on viola.
After this outpouring of information, I really thought that she had a new
understanding of what I'm up to.  She even commented that I'd better have
another viola set for comparison (already had it).

Well, a few days went by, and my wife asked just how many versions of
the Cello Suites I would be reviewing.  I told her, "A few".  Her serious
reply was - "I thought you only had one, that viola set".  I explained
how I would be reviewing modern instrument, period instrument, and viola
recordings, and that one recording wouldn't cut it.  Her final response was
- "Sounds very odd to me".  That just puts me back to point zero.  She has
no idea that I am reviewing 18 sets; if she did, her little heart would
likely start beating furiously and a stroke could be in the offering.  So,
out of love for her emotional stabilty and wanting her physical health to
remain strong, I don't think I'll tell her about the 18 versions.  That's
the depth of love I have for my woman.

Don Satz