From:
Bernard Gregoire <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 30 Sep 2000 17:17:23 EDT
A "strad..." of a hall indeed, from a critics quote made about Boston's
Symphony Hall in its first year of existance was noted by Ed Zubrow.
At 100 years the hall is about to be upgraded-especially the spaces
where people gather before and after events.  Many who regularly attend
performances in this wonderful hall hope that the acoustics and the aura of
the place remain untouched.  (Many times I arrive early for a BSO concert,
simply to bathe in the aura and the acoustic ambience of the room.) So much
music was created by so many great artists over 100 years.  Sometimes I can
imagine the presence of them, Kousevitsky, Munch, Stravinsky, Rachmaninov,
Leinsdorf (and even John Cage, next to whom I had the pleasure of sitting
in that hall two decades ago.) I understand that plans to upgrade Symphony
Hall are about to be revealed.  I'm sure the trustees of that hallowed
place will understand what needs to be fixed and what needs to be let
alone.  The experience at New York's Carnegie Hall can stand as a model
to be avoided.

Bernard Gregoire
Hingham, MA