From:
Bryan R Shaw <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Aug 2000 04:05:58 -0700
I did not respond to the original message when it appeared but it has
stuck with me.  There is a certain point to Linda Roger's thoughts about
CD's containing "dead meat" but to me it does overlook something important
which I have not seen mentioned yet.  Recordings can, though do not always,
preserve important performances.  If one performance is particularly
revelatory then it may need to be explored over and over again even by
those who were in attendance at the original performance if it was recorded
live.  The tendency to skip actual performances because so much of quality
is available in recorded form and can be listened to over and over again
rather than just once is disturbing though.

Bryan Shaw