HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Thu, 23 Mar 2000 15:43:24 -0600
From:
Michael Strutt <[log in to unmask]>
To Jennifer Nord and the list.

My apologies for the incorrect information I sent yesterday concerning a
discussion of nails. I stated that a discussion had occurred on this list
in the past month, but I was wrong. It was on Arch-l (I obviously belong to
too many lists). The outcome of that discussion was a posting which listed
a nail bibliography. It is copied below.
--
Michael Strutt
Staff Archeologist

Dear List Members:

Below is a cumulative list of nail references I
received.  None have been checked to see if they exist
and some entries are sketchy.  Also had to cut some
out since I sent this message already and had it
bounce back for being over 300 lines.

Many thanks to the following:

Wayne Neighbors, Jane L. Brown, John Staeck, Carl
Steen, Mike Jacobs, Mark Anderson, Michael Nash, Rich
Green, Richard Stallings, Anna East, Jim Ambrosino,
Smoke (Michael A.) Pfeiffer, David Jurney, Michael
Strutt, William Adams, Marti Latta!

Many apologies to those members who will be adversely
affected by this large message.

Thank you!

 http://www.mtsu.edu/~kesmith/TNARCHNET/Pubs/Res_Bib.html
  (All sorts of bibliographies)

 http://www.har-indy.com/Pickaway.html

American Society of Precision Nailmakers
"Wood Construction, only as good as its fastenings!"
Reprinted as Bulletin No. 1, by the American Society
of Precision Nailmakers, 630 Third Avenue, New York.

Jay Edwards and Thomas Wells
"Historic Louisiana Nails: Aids  to the Dating of Old
Buildings" Geoscience Pubs, Univ. of Louisiana
Edwards, J.D. and T. Wells
Historic Louisiana Nails:  Aids to the Dating of Old
Buildings.  Louisiana State University, Baton Rouge.
(Seemingly Different Publishers, I did not check which
was correct or if both are correct)

Fontana, Bernard L.
1965  The Tale of a Nail:  On the Ethnological
Interpretation of Historic Artifacts.  The Florida
Anthropologist 18(3, Pt.2):  85-101.

Fontana, Bernard L. and J. Cameron Greenleaf
1962  Jonny Ward's Ranch:  A Study in Historical
Archaeology.  The Kiva  28(1-2).

Frurip, David, Russell Malewicki and Donald Heldman
1983 Colonial Nails from Michilimackinac:
Differentiation by Chemical and  Statistical Analysis.
Archaeological Completion Report Series #7, Mackinac
Island State Park  Commission: Michigan

Jurney, David H.
1987 Cut and Wire Nails: Functional and Temporal
Interpretations. In Historic Buildings, Material
Culture, and People of the Prairie Margin, edited by
David H. Jurney and Randall W. Moir, pp. 83-96.
Richland Creek Technical Series, Vol V. Archaeology
Research Program, Southern Methodist University.

1988 Cut and Wire Nails, Functional and Temporal
Interpretations. In Historic Farming on the Hogwallow
Prairies, compiled by David H. Jurney, Susan A. Lebo,
and Melissa M. Green, pp. 315-324. Joe Pool lake
Archaeological Project, Vol II. Archaeology Research
Program, Southern Methodist University.

Nelson, Lee H.
1968  Nail Chronology as an Aid to Dating Old
Buildings.  American Association for State and Local
History Technical Leaflet 48.  History News 24(11),
November 1968.  (Perhaps available from the
Association at 1400 Eighth Avenue South, Nashville,
TN.  37203)

Ivor Noel Hume
"Artifacts of Colonial America" Alfred A. Knopf, New
York

Orser, Charles E., Jr., Annette M. Nekola, and James
L. Roark
1987  Exploring the Rustic Life:  Multidisciplinary
Research at Millwood Plantation, A Large Plantation in
Abbeville County, South Carolina and Elbert County,
Georgia.  Russell Papers 1987, U.S. Army Corps of
Engineers, Savannah District.  Mid-American Research
Center, Loyola University of Chicago.  Submitted to
the U.S. National Park Service, Archaeological
Services Branch, Atlanta.

Sheila Stewart
MA Thesis, at the University of South Florida.

Sutton and Arkush
"Archaeological Laboratory Methods."  Good summary,
good refs.

Amy L. Young
1991  Nailing Down The Pattern in Historical
Archeology. M. A. Thesis University of Tennessee
(dept. of
anth.)

1994  "Nailing Down the Pattern" Tennessee
Anthropologist 19 (1):  1-21.

1994
"Spatial Patterning on a Nineteenth-Centruy
Appalachain Houselot: Evidence from Nail Analysis."
Southeastern Archeology, 13(1):56-63. Southeastern
Archeological Conference.

Young, Amy L. and Philip J. Carr 1993
"Building Middle Range Research for Historical
Archeology with Nails." Ohio Valley Historical
Archeology. Proceedings of the Symposium on Ohio
Valley Urban and Historic Sites Archeology.