Date:
Fri, 21 Jul 2000 10:57:20 EDT
Thank you for sending this "Etrailer" for this Oct. show on PBS...
<< o A 1998 CDC study concluded that midwives cost less than physicians and
 have at least as good, if not better, outcomes  for low-risk women. In
 Western countries with better infant outcomes, midwives catch over 70% of
 babies. Here in the U.S., midwives attend only 7% of all births. >>
Oddly enough, I feel sort of special knowing this. I guess I didn't realize
how unusual a midwifery-attended birth is, in the US. I also love the term
"catching" because it speaks of power the birthing mom and baby have, and the
cooperative nature of the midwife's relationship with them...
Judy LeVan Fram, Brooklyn, NY  ( 2 midwife-attended births, 1 of those in her
own bed)