From:
T Pitman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Jul 2000 11:52:06 -0400
Induction has become so common in part because women are told by their
caregivers that there are no harmful effects. Since induction is harmless,
why not have the baby at a convenient time?

My younger sister has four children, and was induced for the last one. The
reason? She has very fast labours, and the doctor was concerned that she
wouldn't make it to the hospital on time. But this fourth baby was the only
one that she had breastfeeding problems with. Difficulty latching, severe
engorgement (something she'd never before experienced), cracked, sore
bleeding nipples. Doctor told her she should probably bottlefeed since this
was obviously not working out. Of course, she called me instead, and nursed
that little girl for the next five years.

I see some induced babies that seem not quite ready to be born. They have a
disoriented air about them, trouble latching on, trouble getting their
sucking well-coordinated when they do go to the breast. I think we don't
know nearly enough about what subtle preparations go on in the womb to
prepare babies for birth to be messing around with the process.

Teresa Pitman
Guelph Ontario