From:
"J. Szymanski" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Jul 2000 23:07:48 -0400
Hi, I am new to Lactnet and I am enjoying reading about other people so gung-ho for

breast feeding. I hope I am entering this right as I am not the most computer
literate
person. I am an RN who has been in OB off and on for 19 years. .  My co workers
think I am an oddity as I nursed my last child for 22 months ( this is long for
their standard.) I tried a home birth and homeschool my children. . I have been
teaching breastfeeding classes for a couple of years and help breast feeding
mothers. My Nurse manager wants my to inservice the staff on breastfeeding as we
have many nurses who are not all that supportive. A bittersweet note is that we
have been able to get them to stop supplementing with glucose water. ( I wish it
had been a non- issue) We have a couple of nurses who love to tell the mothers that
the baby is using them as a pacifier UGH! Others feel the mothers need their sleep
during the night. I think this is pure lazyness on the part of the nurses as it is
easier to give the baby a bottle than to work with a mother who is having a hard
time nursing. I want to get through to the staff. I would appreciate anyone's
input.  I am also a LC wannabe! Julie Szymanski